99 Macquarie Street
Originally built in 1938 for the New South Wales Department of
Motor Transport, and known as Transport House, this classic art deco
building has undergone a complete A$30 million refurbishment by Mulpha
Australia and is now one of Sydney’s most prestigious business addresses.
The building’s myriad historic features have been retained and restored
while a range of state-of-the-art services, including ‘chilled beam’ air-conditioning,
raised access flooring for power reticulation and double glazing of the original windows
have been designed to provide 4.5 star ABGR energy efficiency and modern office utility.
Mulpha acquired the historic building in 2002 as part of its acquisition of another
of Mulpha’s major assets, the adjacent InterContinental Sydney, and has worked closely
over the years with the Heritage Council on the painstaking rebirth of what is one of
Australia’s most significant historic buildings.
The restored common areas include a marble staircase and banisters, original escalator,
wood panelled boardroom and hallways, as well as twin street frontages to both Macquarie and
The building opened for business in July 2009 after remaining largely unused for close to
In July 2010, 99 Macquarie Street was named Winner - Heritage Preservation in the prestigious
2010 Urban Taskforce Australia Development Excellence Awards.
Urban Taskforce Chairman of Judges' Panel, Chris Johnson, stated that "the project demonstrates
how a heritage building can be refurbished to attract top tenants and provide exceptional environmental outcomes".
99 Macquarie Street is home to Mulpha Australia Limited (from May 2010) and other tenants are M&C Saatchi and the JB Fairfax-related Cambooya and Marinya Media entities.